Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Little Italy Pizzeria

or - "How I Fell In Love Again" - or - "How I Found a Union Man"

a film noir story...



When I look back on how it all came to pass the memories rush through my eyes, and into my brain like a flash of lightning. I remember seeing the advertisement in the City Weekly, and thinking, "this is it...this is for real."

Sure I had talked to people to see if they had tried it out, but all responses came back to "no", or "what, another pizza joint? you've got problems." But I didn't let that deter me, there was work to be done, some angel had flapped its wings and shown me the light that day. It was time; the veil of darkness was lifted from my face; lifted from your face, and from the face of the Salt Lake Valley. It was time to move.

Unfortunately months passed before I actually had found the time to make it out to this little oasis in Sandy. Location was hurting my ability to just drop in (9284 South 700 East, Sandy, UT).

So, how did we come to finally enjoy this lovely eatery?
Funny you should ask, we were on our way out to visit with a potential caterer for our wedding, and it just happened to be right in the area of this fine, fine establishment.

Lets talk pizza shall we?
Little Italy
9284 South 700 East
Sandy, UT
801.255.0363

The dining area's ambiance was straight out of a movie of some sort; Italian music playing in the background, paintings, high back chairs - all spectacular.
Everything I saw served looked so good! The meatballs were monsters; the Tiramisu looked divine!

Did I mention I found Jimmy Hoffa?

When I was talking to the owner he pointed my attention span to the wall with some pictures on it... Jimmy Hoffa was staring at me! Apparently Jimmy was this mans brother-in-law.

Lets talk prices...
... These prices are straight out of 8-10 years ago! The pizza starts at $9.95 and that will get you a 16" cheese! Also, they have really great lunch specials: 2-slices, and a drink for $4.25. UNHEARD OF, especially for this level of quality.
Also, it should be noted that there are two sizes of pizza: 16", and 18".

Crust of a Champion:
PERFECT! What more could I say? It was thin, crispy, folded perfectly when it needed to be, flavorful, puffy where it needed to be. In performance tests, this crust stood up to the competition!

Sauce- the heart of a champion:
Delicious, and not overpowering; small outposts were holding up in pockets of defiance under the delicious cheese. I love it. I love it. I love it.

Toppings - the armor one wears when battling the dragon:
We had Sausage (great!), and Spinach (good). The topping list looked to be great, not too much, but plenty to choose from - if you're into the gourmet thing, you could do it to it, and not feel lonely about doing it. Although I liked the spinach, it didn't blast my pants off (so to speak), but the sausage was really good.

Cheese - the face of a beauty contestant:
Great cheese makes great pizzas; it can also ruin them. They used great cheese - stringy, flavorful (my mouth is watering talking about it, seriously). I wish I had more to say, but when its this great, you just think about it and can't say much about it (kind of like when you meet the really cute cheerleader and you just stand there and stare, not being able to do much but grunt and smile).

TOTAL SCORE: 4.925/5
CRUST: 5/5
SAUCE: 5/5
CHEESE: 4.95/5 (gotta keep 'em honest)
TOPPINGS: 4.75/5

LITTLE ITALY
9284 SOUTH 700 EAST
801.255.0363

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jared - this is a hoot! Thanks for passing the sight along - Jeff